I apologize ahead of time for the ridiculous onslaught of pictures in this post. Prepare to be bombarded.
Here are all our Easter pics plus more shots of and details about the updated Infinite A-line Dress Pattern! Check them out!
Aren’t my boys so darn handsome?? Yes, the two-year-old DOES have a shiner (don’t ask) and yes, studly Toby DID do his own hair. What tipped you off?? 🙂
My parents’ 13 grandkids (actually, since my baby sister just had another one, there are now 14 grandkids…of which a full HALF are the fruits of my loins. How did I GET here?!?)
My Easter dress came out a bit more little-girly than I had anticipated…I’m thinking about shortening the skirt and adding cuffs to the sleeves to toughen it up a bit…but it is really comfy and fun to make so I love it regardless! Pattern is McCalls M6696 (which I also used for this shirtdress in a larger size post-baby Marilyn) and the fabric is this stretch gingham from Joann which is fantastic.
Now, for the pattern updates! It’s been almost a year since I released my first pattern, the Infinite A-line Dress for little girls. I have loved sewing it up all this time, in a crazy variety of fabrics and styles…for me it does just what I wanted it to: gives me the basic framework for just about any little girl’s dress.
But I knew it needed an update. I’m pleased to say that it now has a much better fit, the instructions are more intuitive with a better flow, I’ve changed the placket instructions to a simpler way of doing things and also included infant sizes down to newborn! Oh, and my personal favorite update: no-trim pages. That’s right…all my patterns are now ready to tape together the second they come out of your printer; no more cutting off margins. SO much quicker!! I also combined the front and back pattern pieces of both the full dress and the empire bodice so we get to save a whole bunch of trees 🙂
Vivian’s version (above) is often the favorite among my testers. It includes a bodice ruffle/flutter sleeve that is to die for! Bonus: you can add any sleeve to this version (it’s adorable with long sleeves under that ruffle) and a skirt ruffle if you choose.
Juliet’s version (above, in front) is the quickest by far! A simple A-line silhouette, it’s fully lined and you have the option of cap, short or long sleeves. I knew I wanted to add exterior pockets on Juliet’s, with the stripes horizontal instead of vertical like the rest of the dress. They still needed something else, though, so adding on this chartreuse bias tape gave it a fun pop!
This is the back view of Kira’s dress: the basic empire waist version with cap sleeves. One of the major modifications to the pattern was getting a closer fit in chest/belly of the empire views. To do that, I changed the placket to extend into the skirt so that our little ones can get it on easier. The instructions for this placket are SO much simpler than before! No need to be nervous about this button opening, even if you’re a beginner.
Marilyn’s dress (above) is a variation of the basic A-line (like Juliet’s) only with an added skirt ruffle. Hers also has cap sleeves and a single button keyhole closure in back (even simpler than the placket!). The infant sizes of this view have more room in the chest area to allow those chubby little arms to slip in and out without a fight. My next pattern hack for this view will be adding some pleats in the front neckline area…it’s gonna be so cute!
I just love this little series of pics of these two sister-bffs. Kira grabbed onto Juliet as she was slipping off the curb…Juliet grabs her and Kira’s headband slips over her eyes. Then they both get a good giggle out of it. These two are just the cutest together! (Meanwhile, Kira’s twin, Vivian, and her toddler brother Finn, team up up to wreak havoc on my house the likes of which mankind has never known.)