Don’t forget to vote for your favorite look HERE!
I’m SUPER excited to be a part of Project Run & Play’s 14th (!!) season this month! I’ve followed PR&P for years now and have watched some amazing names in children’s sewing create some real showstoppers. I think this was actually where I first found some of my most favorite bloggers to follow, like Katy, Kelly, Ashley (back when she sewed amazing things!), Jess and Jess! I’m so happy that Liz & Elizabeth have kept it going and so flattered to have been asked to compete.
This first week’s theme is “All Buttoned Up” with the challenge of highlighting buttons in the look. It took me all of 5 seconds to know that I had to create some button art on one of my pieces. I’m obsessed with button art! I originally wanted to make a tiger’s face out of buttons on the back of a denim jacket and have it be the start of a “Roar” themed punk-rock look. But…I knew a tiger would take a LOT of buttons and probably overwhelm a little 6 year old’s back. Ha! So instead, I planned out this butterfly and created a bohemian style look around this faux suede vest.
Sad story: I had cut out and sewn the back of the vest and then attached about 1/4 of the buttons when I left it unattended to chat with my SIL visiting from out of state. I heard some suspicious activity in the other room and came back to two huge cuts/tears in the middle of my butterfly from a mischievous toddler who found some scissors. That baby is very lucky that I was on my best behavior in front of my SIL!! *Sob*
This just happened last week (since I was working under the wire as I usually do. I can’t help it! I can’t focus unless I’m under pressure) and so I debated throwing the whole thing away and starting over on something simpler or even dropping out. But I just couldn’t let this little butterfly go! If you look closely, you can see that I cut the bottom half off, re-cut it and sewed it back on, creating another seam along the horizonal midline. It already had a vertical center seam so I didn’t think it was that distracting. Kinda looks like it was meant to be that way and I only had to stay up until 1am one night 🙂
I will say that even though I hand-sewed on all the buttons, it really didn’t take as long as I thought it would. Probably about 4 episodes of Poldark. (Does anyone else measure their sewing projects by TV shows or podcasts??). I did originally sew on orange buttons instead of the pink, but they clashed pretty badly with the dress so a change was made (after I sewed the vest together…it was tricky to sew on buttons without going through the lining but I did it!)
I used two patterns as bases for my look. The vest was inspired by Jennuine Design’s Moto Jacket (fabulous pattern!) and the dress was based on my Infinite A-line Dress (of course). I added length to the skirt to make it a maxi and added width to the sleeve and fullness to the sleeve cap for a more flowy look.
I debated adding ruffles to the sleeves and skirt hem but since the vest is pretty over-the-top, decided to just keep it simple. The pink buttons are just a non-functional adornment since I cut this dress big enough to just slip over Vivian’s head without the placket. The final touch was this headband made from a RTW sweatband and a flower button. You know, just to keep within the theme!
Several months ago, I really purged my fabric stash in anticipation of the move we’re planning sometime in the next 6 months. I put all the fabric I was ready to part with in garbage bags in the garage, with plans to donate or sell it somewhere. Well, it sits there still and it’s a good thing too because I’ve pulled out probably 5 or 6 different fabrics to use recently! This floral chiffon was one of them. I had no inspiration to use it when I purged, but while thinking of what to pair the vest with, this print immediately came to mind. So I scavenged it and lined it with the same black floral rayon that the vest is lined with. I left the sleeves and the bottom half of the skirt unlined for a little fun sheer factor on the bottom half of the skirt. The best part of this fabric is that it has metallic silver threads running through it!
Overall, I’m pretty pleased with how it all turned out and both of my twins LOVE it. In fact, some of the vest closeups were actually taken while Kira was wearing it since she was super bummed to not be my “main model” (her words) this time. I told her that Vivs had the more bohemian hair but that she’ll be “It” girl next time. So if I make it to next week, it’ll be all Kira. Funny girls!
If you like this look, I’d LOVE it if you voted for me over on the Project Run & Play blog! Also feel free to share this post on social media. Thanks guys! Wish me luck!