I’m so excited for today’s post! You’ve probably heard of capsule wardrobes and why they’re all the rage right now…the idea being that you buy a handful of clothes that are designed to mix and match into a much larger number of outfits. You save money on clothes, have more space in your closet and take less time deciding what to wear every day.
I admit, at first I was skeptical about capsule wardrobes (since I have a bit of a shopping addiction) but after this post, I’m a believer! It was a lot of fun pulling together outfits from the same pieces, just mixing them in different ways. It made me get really creative and see each piece in new and different ways. I never felt like I was wearing the same outfit twice!
I decided on 15 separate articles of clothing, not including accessories and a couple tanks I layered under the shirts that were a little sheer. Here are the basics!
*solid colored tee (army green)
*solid colored tee (taupe…actually not the best color on me but live and learn!)
*black lace top
*flowy white top
*patterned tee (mine had pinks, blue, white and black in the print)
Click Read More to see all the looks!
Pretty fun, huh? Now, I’m not saying you should go out and buy every single exact piece here. The point to a capsule wardrobe is to take what you have and love, add a couple new trendy pieces and then learn to mix and match in new ways. In fact, I didn’t even come close to photographing every possible combination. Your imagination’s the limit!
A couple suggestions: Note how many of my pieces are solids. I really only have 3 patterned pieces in the mix: the striped dress, patterned palazzos (both black and white, coincidentally) and the multi-colored top. I usually wear way more patterns than this but they get too hard to mix and match in a capsule wardrobe!
If you’re looking for a couple trends to pick up this season to add to your existing staples, here’s what I recommend!
- Flared or distressed jeans. White denim is everywhere!
- Swing dresses – universally flattering and so comfy.
- Boxy tops: super forgiving and can be worn with everything.
- Wide legs pants…can’t beat loungewear masquerading as real clothes.
- Lace – tops, dresses, skirts, you name it!
- Colors: pale pink, army green, light blue, tomato red, and neons (back again this year!)
- Accessories: wedges, clogs, lace up sandals and pumps, fedoras, wide-brimmed hats, saddle bags, satchels, stacks of bangles…Accessories are key! Changing up shoes, hats, purses and jewelry can take an outfit from ho-hum basic to super special. It helps the same old clothes feel like something new.
That’s it! I hope you liked reading this post as much as I liked writing and photographing it! Let me know if this is something you’d like me to do again in future seasons.